Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sprinkler Morning


It is so hot here! I was up early, turning on the sprinkler at 7 am and moving it around the gardens. Even though we have had a fair amount of rain this year, especially compared to last year, after such hot days the plants need water. I hate this time of summer, when all you do is go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned work. Don't get me wrong, I love air conditioning and would surely die without it, but I do miss being outside and enjoying it. It's supposed to be a week of record temps.


I was reading the Post yesterday and liked this comment by gardening editor Adrian Higgins in response to a question about gardening in our hot summers. 

"This is how you stay on top of weeds: You weed year round, you never let a weed go to seed, you mulch the ground to suppress germination, or you cultivate bare soil every few days. Weeding equates to work, I'm sorry. I would say that 60 percent of my gardening is weeding. And they still bear down."

I liked that comment, weeding is work, gardening is work, you just have to do it. Even in the hot summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment