Monday, September 3, 2012

Bishop's Garden at the National Cathedral


On Sunday we drove down to one of my favorite places, the Bishop's Garden at the National Cathedral. I have loved this small enclosed garden since I first moved to DC. Every spring on the first weekend in May they hold a Garden Fair on the Cathedral grounds, which I have been to many years.  The garden is set below the Cathedral, enclosed by stone walls and arched doorways, with stone and brick pathways that wind back and forth throughout the gardens. There are rose gardens, perennial borders, herb gardens, small fruit trees, and an amazing collection of boxwoods, which must be close to 100 years old. The garden was designed in the early 20th century by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead, Jr. Interesting benches and chairs are tucked into hidden corners, perfect for contemplative thought or quiet reading.

Welcome to the garden

The Shadow House Gazebo

And of course everywhere you walk you see lovely views of the Cathedral.




I love these old trees. This iron bench is my favorite spot.


This baptismal font dates from the time of Charlemagne. Wow.




These hardy begonias are everywhere, tucked into shady spots. So pretty.




Several pinnacles, ornaments, and flying buttresses were damaged by last summer's (2011) earthquake. Maybe these are new ornaments waiting to go up?


And everywhere you look, there are ferns tucked into little nooks and crevices in the stones. Just my style! Can I just say one more time how much I need a stone wall??


No comments:

Post a Comment