Friday, September 20, 2013

The Best of Maine

Somesville

Today is our last day in Maine, and I thought I would post some random photos of some of my favorite places here on Mount Desert Island.  Somesville is just about the most picturesque town ever,  the next town past Southwest Harbor and we pass through it every time we go into Acadia. The little bridge and the library, on Somes Sound, are a photographer's dream. I wanted to stop and sit and stare at Somes Sound every time we drove through it. Trust me, Walt is sick of me saying 'stop'!  I really should be working in that library instead of busy Tysons Pimmit Library on horrible Leesburg Pike.

Gorgeous window boxes

Somesville

Somesville

Somes Sound

Somesville Library on Somes Sound

Somesville
 We did a long hike today, well over 4 miles, on a trail around Little Long Pond in Acadia. The Little Long Pond Trail is part of the carriage roads,  and it goes around the pond and then up above it through woods and over a cool cobblestone bridge. The trail we were on connects with a bunch of other carriage roads that go to Jordan Pond and all over Acadia, but fortunately we found the right one down and made it back to our car.  Yesterday we went to Asticou Terraces and Thuya Gardens but I am saving the garden related photos for next week. Maine flowers and gardens are pretty spectacular and you can be sure I will be sharing lots of pictures.  It has been a wonderful week. It is so quiet and peaceful here and being surrounded by such beauty in nature is truly spirit-renewing. There's something about this Maine coastline of rocks and water...

Northeast Harbor

Bar Harbor


Sips Restaurant in Southwest Harbor--one of our favs

Clark Point Road, Southwest Harbor

Window boxes on the cottage where we are staying

Perfect Maine garden on Clark Point Road

Clark Point Road (the road where we are staying)

Echo Lake, Southwest Harbor
Little Long Pond, Acadia

Hiking in Acadia, cobblestone bridge
Little Long Pond Trail

1 comment:

  1. I have really loved my virtual vacation to MDi with you and Walt, Ellen. Your pictures capture the stunning beauty of Maine, such a magical place. Hopefully, I will be enjoying Sips, Thurstons and Acadia on two good legs next year.

    ReplyDelete