Thursday, August 14, 2014

Summer Planting


Ahhh, late summer when the garden (and gardener) needs a boost. Yesterday I went to the nursery,  hoping to get something to fill in a bare spot that has been bugging me in my perennial garden. Daylilies are supposed to fill in when the bulbs die back, but my daylilies are looking so ratty right now, I need to stick in something that's blooming.  The nursery had lots of big pots of healthy, happy looking perennials for $12.99, which seemed pretty good for the size. I was sidetracked however by these ornamental peppers. So many varieties,  and so colorful!  I looked all over for them in the spring with no success,  but they were loaded with them now.




Back to the perennials, I picked out a nice pot of Agastache 'Purple Haze,' or anise hyssop, which I hope will fill in the bare spot. It grows 2-3 feet tall, blooms summer and fall,  and attracts butterflies and hummingbirds. And it has a lovely licorice scent when you brush against the foliage. I hope it survives a summer planting.


And of course I couldn't resist a little pot of ornamental peppers to perk up my deck...


No comments:

Post a Comment