Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Hyacinth Beans


I finally got around to picking all my hyacinth bean pods and saving the seeds. Every fall I try to remember to do this so that I don't have to buy seeds in the spring. I take the seeds out of the pods and put them on paper towels for a week or so, to make sure they are thoroughly dry.  I first saw hyacinth beans (Dolichos lablab) many, many years ago at Monticello. They were growing on the arbors over the vegetable garden and I just loved them. They are my favorite vine for covering a fence or an arbor.  I bought my first few packets of hyacinth beans at Monticello, and for many years I would order seeds directly from Monticello. Now they are more popular and many garden centers carry the seeds, but I still like to harvest my own~~when I remember.




No comments:

Post a Comment