Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Apples and Pumpkins


We had a beautiful fall weekend here in Virginia. I didn't have to work on Saturday, which always feels so luxurious to have the whole weekend to do what I want. I spent a lot of time outside in the garden, beginning the fall cleanup chores...raking leaves out of the garden,  emptying a few pots of annuals, cutting back some perennials, starting to pull zinnias.  I cleaned out my little mailbox bed and planted some fall pansies and ornamental kale and cabbages. Put pumpkins on the front steps.  On Saturday we drove out to Thurmont, Md. to get pumpkins and apples. There is a great orchard there that we like where you can get a great variety of apples and apple cider. Of course we also got an apple pie to take to our friends' house for dinner that night, and some apple cider doughnuts. And really, is there anything better than apple cider doughnuts??








I bought a basket of Staymans to make applesauce, and maybe an apple pie too. Or maybe apple dumplings, a fav from my childhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment