Monday, October 27, 2014

Planting Bulbs


I'm so proud of myself, I got some bulbs planted before November! Usually it's Thanksgiving when I get them in the ground (if I'm lucky), more often they get thrown out in March. I don't have a lot of space left for daffodils, but this spring I noticed that there was room between my emerging anemones. The anemones come on slowly and it seems like a perfect spot to plant bulbs.  They should bloom before the anemones get very big, and then the anemones should hide that annoying daffodil foliage. In theory this sounds good, we will see how it works out.


I planted some tulips too, this pretty 'Apricot Beauty' variety, below. The daffodils were a mix that I picked up at Merrifield.


It's also time for some amaryllis care. I  brought in my amaryllis last week, which had been spending the summer outside in a corner of my garden.  I brought it into the garage for a few days and then will put in a dark corner of the basement for a month or so. Another amaryllis was snatched by a squirrel I think, so that pot was empty. I have been looking for a new amaryllis to order this year, and I think I'm going to get 'Picotee' from White Flower Farm--crisp white petals, with edges finely bordered in rich red. I better order soon, though, as they sold out last year.



No comments:

Post a Comment