Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Last Day of School



Today is the last day of school. As I drove past Herndon Elementary this afternoon I could remember so clearly that feeling of the freedom on the last day of school--of no more homework, making lunches, school projects, PTA newsletter, afterschool practices and games. Time for the pool, BLT lunches, vacations, sleeping in. A group of us used to take a picnic to the pool on the last day of school to celebrate summer. Some of my best memories of raising my kids are of those lazy days of summer--of going to the pool for the afternoon and coming home chlorine-clean and worn out by the sun. And the best was to come home to a dinner of Mom's tuna salad and iced tea. A perfect summer day! (Of course I am forgetting about the summer baseball league, All-Star baseball teams, baseball camps, ballet camps, and all of that.) But it was fun. Makes me want to re-join the pool and make some tuna salad for dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment