Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Looking for Conifers


I have been wanting to visit this nursery in Boyds, Maryland, for awhile, and this weekend we finally made the trip.  Susanna Farm Nursery specializes in dwarf and unusual evergreens and Japanese maples. I heard about it from a gardener  here in town who has some really unusual conifers from this nursery. It's about a 45 minute drive, but through a beautiful part of Maryland and we really enjoyed the drive.  We even took White's Ferry across the Potomac to get into Maryland. Pretty amazing that a ferry like this is still operating. There used to be 100 ferries operating on the Potomac and this is the last one. It's been in use since 1786!


The nursery itself is part of a huge piece of property, acres and acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, a pond, the nursery, and several homes. They let you use little golf carts to get around, so that was kind of fun and easy to see the whole property.



I don't know the names of all these plants, a lot were spruces as it seems I gravitate towards those the most.




And the Japanese maples were of course gorgeous. I've never seen so many varieties, and absolutely beautiful specimens. If you want a Japanese maple, this is the place to come.



I really liked this variety (below) so much that I wrote down its name,  Acer palmatum 'Tsuma-gaki.' The colors were so beautiful.



And just look at the color on this maple.







One of my favorites conifers is the dwarf hinoki cypress. I love that wavy form and the color.




It was a little overwhelming, especially if you don't know much about conifers, but if you are looking for something specific this is the place. I did buy three small plants, all evergreen, a dwarf hinoki cypress 'Verdoni,' a dwarf oriental spruce (Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb'), and a Daphne 'Rosetti.' Now I just need to find a place to plant them.



No comments:

Post a Comment