Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fern



 I know it's hard to believe, but I have had this fern for nearly 35 years.  It is my oldest houseplant and started as a division from a fern my sister Linda had back in the 1970s. Linda had gotten the fern at a grocery store and I always thought it was such a beautiful plant. When we got married at her house in 1977, we were married next to the fern, looking out at Lake Erie.


It has been divided many times over the years, but this is a descendant of that first beautiful fern. I don't do anything special with it, other than water it regularly, feed it once or twice a month, and periodically cut off the browning fronds. About every five years or so, I divide it. I have two more in upstairs bedrooms, and I think Julia has one too.




A few years ago, I found this great wrought iron plant stand at an antiques market, and I love its leafy and floral details. It's the perfect complement to my very special fern.

No comments:

Post a Comment