Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Garden Dreams

I finally got around to planting some azaleas in the area under my pine trees. I have been thinking about doing this for about 15 years and I finally got around to it this weekend.  This area is under 4 large pine trees and has mostly been just a mulched area and a dumping ground for leaves and grass,  but lately I have been thinking about turning it into a shade garden. I think this is because I have run out of room for plants and I need a new area to cultivate.  In the spring, I transplanted some hellebores and some variegated solomon's seal to this spot (can I call it a garden yet?) and so the azaleas will fit right in.  And a friend dug up some toad lily from her garden for me, and I planted that in here too.  I bought white azaleas, as I think they will look nice in the mostly green and shady spot. And the white solomon's seal and greenish-white hellebores will continue the whites. It doesn't look like much now, but someday...



Sometimes when I am lying in bed at night I like to think about what I would do if I had all the money in the world, and a full time gardener to help me do the work.  First I would plant a wide perennial and shrub border all around the perimeter of my side yard. I would love to have a conifer garden, with lots of different textures and sizes, and maybe some perennials thrown in. I love the look of that mix.

Image via Pinterest

I love this little pocket garden of conifers. This might be more my speed.

Image via Pinterest
I would also do a hedge of hydrangeas somewhere. There used to be a house by my parents house in Ohio that had the most beautiful hedge of hydrangeas. The problem is I would need a lot of hydrangeas to have a good long hedge. I always thought I could propagate six or seven hydrangeas from one of mine, but that would take years for them to get big enough to plant.


Hydrangea hedge in Ohio

And then there's the tree lawn--or hell strip--or parking strip--that  I've thought about planting. I love when  I see these gardens, it's such a great idea for that narrow strip of grass that serves no purpose except for dog walkers. I am always looking for pictures of these. I would love to have the energy and time to plant one of these street-side gardens.

Image via Pinterest
Image via Pinterest

So,  probably not going to happen but at least I planted some azaleas.

No comments:

Post a Comment