Friday, April 18, 2014

Friday Fleurs

My cherry tree in bloom

The past few days have been cool, but sunny, and most important of all, there is color! I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see some color emerge in the garden. I guess a long winter does that to you, but everything just seems so vibrant and so welcome this spring. We have had a couple of freezes this week, but so far I haven't noticed any damage. The only thing I really worry about is my big tree peony. It has lots of buds, and I'm hoping they are okay.

I spent the afternoon outside yesterday, spraying my peonies and roses with a fungicide, trying to ward off disease. I did it last year and it seemed to help.  I also pruned back all my lavenders--I have a lot of really old lavender plants that I prune back every spring and fall. I'm a little worried about a few of the younger plants, they may have fallen victim to the arctic cold winter,  but we'll see. I'm hoping they will rebound. My rosemary plant is dead. I have talked to several other people who have lost rosemary plants this year as well.  I also shellac-ed my gourd birdhouses and finished spreading bone meal around my emerging perennials. Checking more garden chores off the list...

Viburnum carlesii


Redbud

Dogwood

Viburnum carlesii

Tall snowdrops

Cherry

Hosta

Tall snowdrops

No comments:

Post a Comment