Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Christmas Cactus--Timing is Everything


I just can't seem to get the timing right with my Christmas cacti. I usually put mine outside in the summer and then in the fall I bring them in the house and I don't water them for 6 weeks or so.  I even put the hanging backet one down in the cool and dark basement. Then you are supposed to bring them out and voila, they bloom at holiday time. Well a few days ago I noticed one of my smaller ones had buds on it, so I went down to the basement to check the big one, and it's practically blooming! So much for holiday blooms,  they will be so over by then. Jeez, they'll be over by Thanksgiving. I know there is a Thanksgiving cactus, so maybe that's what I have, but how do they know? It seems like I should be able to get this timing right...


I love Christmas cactus, so what happens is, mine bloom way too early, and then at Christmas time I go to the nursery and buy a new one that is blooming--at Christmas. And that's why I have all these Christmas cactus! Well, 3 is not so many, right?

Plant #2

Plant #3--see the teeny buds

No comments:

Post a Comment