Wednesday, January 4, 2012

No Signs of Life


Well, it's been four weeks since I brought my amaryllis bulb out of hibernation and into a sunny window, but it's not looking too promising. I don't see any signs of life. I'll give it another week or so, but then it's going in the trash. It's frustrating, though, because I feel like I should be able to rebloom this bulb, since I have done all the right things.  On a happier note, I do have some plants with imminent blooms. Look at my orchids.



And my begonia ('Beefsteak')  has just started blooming and will bloom through the spring. This plant belonged to my friend Nitsa's mom Jane, who Nitsa and I loved visiting in her cool apartment in the Westchester in Washington, D.C. The Westchester is an old luxury apartment complex on Cathedral Avenue in Washington, with huge rooms, high ceilings, and beautiful windows overlooking the gardens and the National Cathedral, and I have always said that's where I would want to have a city apartment when we retire. When Jane died nearly 20 years ago, I inherited her plants and this is one of my favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment