Friday, March 30, 2012

It's Still March=Frost Damage

Hydrangea 'Endless Summer'
So after work yesterday I was taking my walkabout around the yard, and noticed that several plants in the garden were affected by the frost we had earlier in the week. The anemones were what I noticed first, lots of tender new growth was browned and wilted, and then I saw the hydrangeas--the Endless Summer hydrangea, 'Nikko Blue', 'Limelight', and various lacecaps all have frost damage on the new baby growth. I know they will recover but I wonder how it will affect the blooms?

Ligularia
Droopy anemone
But happily the new daffodils ('Flower Record') that I planted last fall are blooming, and most important of all, the tree peony buds are fine. It's hard to remember that it's not even April yet when we have had 70+ degree weather during the days, and when the nurseries are selling annuals already. The last frost date for our area is April 30 and I usually abide by that, waiting until May 1 (or late April) to plant tender annuals. But another month! Another month!

Narcissus 'Flower Record'
Red tree peony

No comments:

Post a Comment