Thursday, April 25, 2013

Spring at Meadowlark


This past weekend Walt and I went to Meadowlark to check out the spring blooms, stopping first for some sandwiches at our favorite bakery,  and had our first picnic of the season underneath the glorious crabapple trees (above).  The winding path of pink and white crabapples at Meadowlark is really spectacular when they are in bloom. The gardens are beautiful at this time of year--the daffodils were just past their peak, the tulips were in their prime, and there were lots of wildflowers in bloom. Azaleas were just beginning.  Hostas and ferns were unfurling in the Hosta Walk, along with some pretty awesome Jack-in-the-Pulpits.  In another few weeks the peonies should be in bloom as they were all in bud. I don't think I have ever seen the peonies at Meadowlark when they are blooming--I am always too busy in my own garden at that time I guess. They have quite a collection of herbaceous peonies and tree peonies, so I am going to have to make more of an effort this year to get there this year.




Fothergilla






Jack-in-the-Pulpit
Jack-in-the-Pulpit

No comments:

Post a Comment