Friday, June 21, 2013

Friday Fleurs: Hydrangeas



It's hydrangea time, and mine are just coming into peak bloom right now. These are the lacecap and oakleaf varieties blooming right now. I love the lacecaps, actually love them all-- I could have a whole yard full of all different kinds of hydrangeas. I also have the more common mophead hydrangea, but last fall I pruned it back almost to the ground, so I know I won't get any blooms this year since they bloom on old wood. But it did survive that major cutback and so I'm happy about that.  I also have an Endless Summer hydrangea and a Limelight, but they will bloom later in the summer.  We still seem to be about 2 weeks behind last year in bloom times--last year the hydrangeas were blooming on June 5, according to my garden journal.


Lacecap hydrangea


Oakleaf hydrangea

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment