Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Books On My Nightstand


Because I work in a library, I always have a stack of books next to my bed. Here's what I'm reading now:

The World We Found, by Thrity Umrigar--her book The Space Between Us is one of my favs. And hey, she lives in Cleveland!

Out of the Deep I Cry, by Julia Spencer-Fleming--the third in a mystery series I started reading this year about Reverend Clare Fergusson and Chief of Police Russ Van Alstyne, who work together to solve a murder in upstate New York. An interesting relationship.

Sissinghurst: An Unfinished History, by Adam Nicolson--someday I hope to visit Sissinghurst, Vita Sackville-West's garden in the English countryside, and this is a history of the gardens by her grandson.

Nightwoods, by Charles Frazier (Cold Mountain)--reading for my bookgroup, about a young woman who inherits her murdered sister's troubled children, in rural 1960s North Carolina.

Founding Gardeners, by Andrea Wulf--an unusual look at the Founding Fathers (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison) and their lives as gardeners, plantsmen, and farmers.

Some Assembly Required, by Anne Lamott--I love all of Anne Lamott's books and her latest is about the birth and first year of life of her grandson (Sam's son!).

Beautiful and Pointless, by David Orr--a guide to modern poetry for people who love poetry.

The Tiger's Wife, by Tea Obreht--a book I've been meaning to read for awhile, about a young woman doctor in a Balkan country and the stories her grandfather told her as a child.

My Stroke of Insight, by Jill Bolte Taylor--reading this for book group, non-fiction about a brain scientist who survives a massive stroke and writes about the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment