Thursday, April 5, 2012

My Favorite Gardening Gloves!

Foxgloves
I am always searching for the perfect gardening gloves, and I thought I would share my two favorites. I have been using Foxgloves, pictured at right, for many years and I like them alot. They are a light stretchy fabric that fits snugly enough so that you can still use your fingers pulling out tiny weeds, or deadheading flowers. I always find I have to take off my garden gloves to get at some weeds, and I don't have to do that with these. Plus I like that they come up over your wrists. They are durable too. Some of my other gloves wear out on the tips, but I have had these for years and they have no holes or tears.  And best of all, they come in all these great colors! I have them in green and blue. They are a little pricey, at around $20 a pair.

Then last year at the Philadelphia Flower Show, Prudy, Eileen, and I found these cheap and cheerful Atlas gardening gloves, and I think they might be my new favorites. I think they were 2 for $12 and I have seen them in stores for $6.95. They are lightweight as well and surprisingly comfortable. The palms and fingers are
dipped in nitrile (a rubberized material) that protects
Atlas gardening glove
your hands from thorns and punctures. What I like most about these is that they are very easy to get on and off! Look for them, I think you'll like them. Both these are available at most nurseries, and on Amazon of course.

And finally, if you really don't like to wear gardening gloves, I found this tip online that sounds like a good idea.

"Before heading out to pull weeds, clean up leaf litter, and plant shrubs...whether or not you are planning to wear gloves...run your fingernails over a bar of soap. The soap under your nails will form a barrier to mud, manure...garden muck and yuck in general."







No comments:

Post a Comment