Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why I Walk



As I was out walking this morning, I was thinking about an article I read recently entitled "Why I Walk," and it started me thinking about why walk. Of course I walk for exercise, and for deep breaths of fresh air, and to clear my head, but it also makes me feel more connected to my neighborhood and my town. After so many years of running around and driving everywhere, it feels good to notice things again. I like to see who is planting a vegetable garden and who is painting their front door.  Someone down the street is laying a new cobblestone driveway and across the street they are cutting down a tree.  House painters are freshening up a house and of course the lawn guys are evvverywhere, mowing and trimming.  I love days like this when so much is going on outside, it always reminds me of "Busytown" in the Richard Scarry books we used to read to our kids. The garbage men just waved to me as I walked by and I stopped to talk with a neighbor. But mostly you know I am walking by with my camera, checking to see what is going on in other people's gardens.


And I am kind of obsessed lately with rocks and stone walls lately. Must be those awesome stone walls we saw in Leesburg this past weekend.  This neighbor just had a load of stone delivered, so I will be watching to see what they do. I sure would love a stacked stone wall..


And another neighbor is planting their veggie garden. Makes me miss having one, that lettuce sure looks good. They have peas growing too. Peas! When is the last time you had fresh peas?


 I like this garden border down the street, it always looks so neat and tidy. Those are herbaceous peonies about to bloom.  And they have foxgloves blooming (I couldn't get close enough for a picture),  and any garden that can grow foxgloves has my admiration.


This garden always looks nice, but especially in the spring when their azaleas are blooming.


And then there is the neighbor who added an iron bed to her garden. It might be a tad over the top, but at least she is doing something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment