Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hydrangea Heaven


It is truly hydrangea heaven around here right now--they seem to have all popped in the last week or so, although two of my smaller ones, 'Limelight' and 'Endless Summer' are not quite blooming yet. The ones below are lacecap hydrangeas, with the flatter blooms. Some people don't care for the lacecaps, but they have always been my favorites. They are a little airier and more graceful than the mopheads.

Hydrangea serrata 'Bluebird' 
This lacecap is one I propagated from stem cuttings from my first lacecap about 10 years ago. Now it is bigger than the original!



On the shadier side of the yard is my oakleaf hydrangea. This one is particularly heavy with blooms right now. I just love the creamy white flowers and their big oaky leaves.

Hydrangea Quercifolia



A different variety of lacecap that I have is the variegated 'Mariesi' variety. It's not as heavy a bloomer as the others. You can see its variegated leaves.




And of course I have the more common mophead varieties (Hydrangea macrophylla), shown below. I love their changing colors. These will bloom all summer, gradually changing colors from creamy white and lavender to the darker blues. 






The next one I want to get is the 'Annabelle' variety, with huge white blooms 10" or more across. I just have to figure out where to put it! And then maybe a long hedge of hydrangeas somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment