Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Kousa Dogwood


My kousa dogwood is a finicky thing. I don't know if this is typical or not, but mine blooms every other year. I have tried to research this to see if it is a peculiarity of the kousa, but I can't find anything that suggests that.  Some gardening books say a drought year can cause fewer blooms, but mine seems to bloom regularly every other year.  But happily this is a blooming year and it is really beautiful right now.  You can see from my garden journal that it had no flowers in 2012, but tons of flowers in 2011! So strange, is it just part of my tree's life cycle?



There is something so restful and calming about white flowers in the garden. I love how they look against all that green foliage. Someday I am going to have an all white garden somewhere.  But for now I better just enjoy my kousa's blooms because I probably won't see them again until 2015.




No comments:

Post a Comment