Thursday, August 25, 2011

Old Gardens

NoNo's Garden, 1930s
This is the garden in Euclid where my parents got married on August 7, 1937.  It was NoNo's (mom's aunt) garden on E. 201, right on Lake Erie (that's the lake in the background), in the same neighborhood where Mom grew up, where Linda and Rich live, and where all their kids and grandkids live too.  Aunt Peggy gave me this colorized photograph of the garden a few years ago. I have found several similiar colorized photos of gardens in antique shops and flea markets over the years and have them framed in my downstairs bathroom, and she thought I would like this one. My nephew Patrick told me that the people who live in NoNo's house now are going to rehab the gardens, isn't that great?

Mom in garden, 1930s
And as I was looking through other old photos I found this one of my mom when she was a girl, standing in her tennis outfit (see the tennis racquet?) in the very same garden! Same birdbath, same arbor.  How cool is that?

Mom and Peggy, 1920s
And because I can't stop with the old photos, here is a favorite of mine of Mom (on the left) and Aunt Peggy down on the beach. I love thinking how this is the very same beach where so many of my nieces' and nephews' kids swim and play all summer long.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos, don't really remember them...make sure to bring them so I can scan them this weekend. biff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great vintage photos. The bow is bigger than Aunt Peggy's head, love that look. Colorized garden is great.

    ReplyDelete