Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday Fleurs: Roses Rebloom


My roses are reblooming now--a little smaller, and not quite as showy, but hey, anything blooming in this weather is pretty great, I think. They seem to have survived the Japanese beetles as well. I didn't see  one beetle this morning when I was taking these pictures. The blue flower is a new salvia I planted this year,  Salvia 'Black and Blue.' I have been trying to get a good picture of it, without much success, to show it's dramatic electric blue flowers and the blackish buds and stems. These annual salvias are garden-savers in the heat of the summer, as they bloom and bloom, and I have a bunch of these blue ones blooming, and some coral-pinkish flowered ones, also. The butterflies and hummingbirds love them. I think the blue salvia is salvia guarantica, and the pinkish ones are salvia coccinea. They are sometimes hard to find in the spring, but I hunt them down because they are so great in the late summer. Very drought tolerant. I think they are classified as tender perennials, but I treat them as annuals and re-plant every spring.






No comments:

Post a Comment