Thursday, July 12, 2012

No Wonder I Have So Many Redbud Trees


I love the seedpods on my redbud tree (cercis canadensis), and they are a never-ending source of new redbud trees. Little seedlings tend to pop up all over my garden, thanks to the birds I guess, and sometimes they even end up in a well-placed spot.  I am constantly pulling volunteers from the gardens, but right now I am training two small volunteer trees in the backyard, hoping to replace the large goldenrain tree that we had to cut down last year. All the hostas, hellebores, and ferns that I planted in the shade of that tree are now suffering in this hot sunny weather. So hopefully one of these two small redbuds will eventually bring shade again.


This year the tree seems to be particularly heavy with these seedpods. I wonder why? Some years I don't notice them at all. Guess I'll have to do a little research. Anybody need any redbud seeds?


No comments:

Post a Comment