Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Help Thanks Wow


I love Anne Lamott. I feel like she is an old friend of mine and I look forward to every new book she writes. I have read and re-read everything she has written and my favorite books are the ones where she writes about faith and making her way through her own crazy life.  Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith, and Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith are favorites. She's also written a book about writing, Bird By Bird, Some Instructions on Writing and Life. In this new little book (you can read it in an hour) she writes with humor and thoughtfulness about three simple prayers--asking for help, expressing gratitude, and feeling awe at the world. I like how she simplifies the notion of prayer and opens it up to everyone. Prayer doesn't have to be to God, but is a communication to something bigger than us.  It is a reaching out to be heard.

"Let's not get bogged down on whom or what we pray to. Let's just say prayer is communication from our hearts to the great mystery, or Goodness...to something unimaginably big, and not us." 

No comments:

Post a Comment