Monday, May 14, 2012

Making Progress




Nothing makes me happier than a gentle rain the day after all my pots are planted.  I awoke during the night to the sound of rain and it is still raining this morning, so my pots and garden are very happy right now.  Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day and I spent all day out in the garden, finishing up my pots, and planting various things in the garden. I did pretty well in PA, I have a few random plants left over, mostly fillers like Diamond Frost euphorbia and sweet potato vine, some angelonia, and a few million bells. I will stick those in the garden somewhere. And I still have a flat of alyssum that I like to put between the pavers and half a flat each of vinca and impatiens. But everything else is in, including 4 Munstead lavenders that I put on the side by the garage, in front of a long row of peonies. This is an area that I am never happy with and am always looking to improve, so we'll see how the lavenders do. Walt pruned back the lilac tree quite a bit and it looks so much better. We also tied up the autumn clematis for about the 15th time, I swear that thing can grow, hung up a birdhouse Walt had repaired and painted, and a cute new sign I got in PA. 

So it was a perfect Mother's Day for this Mom, doing just what I like all day long, and then a yummy dinner (steak and baked potatoes)-- that I didn't have to cook-- with Walt and Brooks. Julia drove to Atlanta on Saturday and will start her internship on Tuesday, but I talked with her during the day.





Mixed coleus 

Larkspur beginning to bloom
Planting area
Taking pots to the backyard
Waiting to be planted

Happy plants this morning, in the rain

1 comment:

  1. Am loving the rain too! All the vinca and impatiens are smiling. Planted lots of annuals yesterday. Can't wait to see your garden up close and personal on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete