Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pavers and Sweet Alyssum


Sweet alyssum is another one of my favorite plants. I must remember it from my childhood or something, because it is one of those plants that I just have to plant every spring. I buy a flat of it in PA, and I use it between the pavers of my front walk, and in random nooks and crannies around the garden.


Some years it does better than others. It doesn't really do well in hot weather, so it kind of fades in summer, but it always comes back in the fall. I think most people think of the white sweet alyssum, but I am partial to the purple and lavender mixes that are available now. I always buy packets of seeds, too, and sprinkle them all around the garden.  And I have been trying for years to get various creeping thymes to grow in between the pavers, and finally some seem to be taking hold...




These pavers are a never-ending annoyance for me, trying to get things to grow in between them, and to keep the weeds out. That was the plan with the thymes--they would grow and spread in between and I wouldn't have to fuss over them every year. So we are getting there. But in the meantime,  I have a little routine when I am on the phone, I go out the front door and weed the pavers!

No comments:

Post a Comment